The basic and gross salaries of Cabinet Secretaries in Kenya are getting more pleasant with six-figure allowances on the pay slip. We look at how much these senior government officials take home every month.
- READ ALSO: List of 9 Elected MPs in Kisii County.
The constitution of 2010 provides for the nomination of between 14 and 22 Cabinet Ministers. Those appointed must also endure a competitive vetting process before serving Kenyans.
Salaries of Cabinet Secretaries in Kenya
How much does a CS earn? Cabinet Ministers in Kenya earn a monthly salary of Ksh. 924,000 inclusive of hefty allowances. The basic salary is slightly above half a million in value.
- READ ALSO: DP & President Salaries in Kenya.
Below is the breakdown of their pay.
|Basic Salary||Ksh. 554,400|
|House allowance||Ksh. 200,000|
|Market adjustment||Ksh. 169,600|
|Gross salary||Ksh. 924,000|
- READ ALSO: List of Worst Performing Cabinet Secretaries.
That is to say that cabinet ministers in the regime of William Ruto and his deputy Rigathi Gachagua take home about 25 million every month.
Other benefits accrued to Cabinet Secretaries are official state cars with a maximum engine capacity of 3000cc, a monthly airtime benefit of up to Ksh. 20,000, and full medical cover.
- READ ALSO: Salaries of Senators in Kenya.
Medical benefits are as follows;
|Inpatient||Ksh. 10 million|
On top of that, the Inspector General of Police is expected to provide a security team for all the Cabinet Ministers.
- READ ALSO: Salary of Governors in Kenya.
Even better, all members of the cabinet stand to benefit from a one-time Ksh.10 million car loan and a Ksh. 40 million mortgages.
List of Cabinet Secretaries in Kenya
- Prime Cabinet Secretary – Musalia Mudavadi.
- Interior and National Coordination – Kithure Kindiki.
- Ministry of Education – Ezekiel Machogu.
- Defense – Aden Duale.
- East African Community & Regional Dev – Rebecca Miano
- Roads, Transport and Public Works – Kipchumba Murkomen.
- Environment and Forestry – Roselinda Soipan Tuya.
- Lands Ministry – Zachary Mwangi.
- Tourism and Wildlife – Peninah Malonza.
- Agriculture and Livestock Development – Franklin Mithika Linturi.
- Ministry of Health – Susan Wafula.
- Information and Communication (ICT) – Eliud Owalo.
- Petroleum and Energy – Davis Chirchir.
- Sports, Youth Affairs and Arts – Ababu Namwamba.
- Cooperatives and SMEs – Simon Chelugui.
- Mining, Blue Economy and Maritime Affairs – Salim Mvurya.
- Foreign Affairs – Alfred Mutua.
- Labour and Social Protection – Florence Bore.
- National Treasury – Njuguna Ndung’u.
- Trade – Moses Kuria.
- Water, Sanitation & Irrigation – Alice Wahome.
- Public Service and Gender – Aisha Jumwa.
The Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi tops the list with distinguished roles. These include assisting the president and deputy president in the coordination and supervision of State Departments.
- READ ALSO: Members of Parliament Salaries in Kenya.
The gross salaries of Cabinet Ministers in Kenya stand at Ksh. 924,000. The amount does not include special sitting allowances, grants, and steady income from multi-million empires.