President William Ruto has finally unveiled a five-member team to renew bi-partisan talks with the opposition. Kimani Ichung’wah will lead the team against Raila’s top pick, Kalonzo Musyoka. Enlisted is Ruto’s 5 member team
- READ ALSO: Burkina Faso President Ibrahim Traore.
The head of state selected National Assembly Majority Leader Kimani Ichung’wah as the team leader on Wednesday, July 2, 2023.
Ruto’s 5 member team ahead of talks with Azimio
The Kenya Kwanza and Azimio teams comprise five members each.
- READ ALSO: 5 Demands in Raila’s Handshake Quest.
Here are the proposed names;
- Majority Leader Kimani Ichung’wah
- Senate Majority Leader Aaron Cheruiyot
- Governor Cecily Mbarire.
- EALA member Hassan Omar
- Bungoma woman rep Catherine Wambilianga
The government insists that talks will not include a ‘Handshake or Nusu Mkate’ arrangements.
“As agreed, there shall be no discussion of whatever nature on matters handshake or Nusu Mkate.”Kenya Kwanza statement.
A 10-member panel is expected to explore the following issues raised during the recent demonstrations;
- The reconstitution of IEBC
- Implementation of a two-thirds gender rule
- The entrenchment of constituency development fund
- Establishment and entrenchment of the Office of the Leader of the Opposition
- Embedment of the Office of the Prime Cabinet Secretary
Blogger turned Kileleshwa MCA, Robert Alai, says that IEBC is after all the main cause of conflict.
“In maandamano, our main issue was IEBC. Political policy is about culture power then why are we focusing on the cost of living? Kenyans have developed a mentality that whatever route you have used does not matter, as long as you are in power.”MCA Robert Alai.
- READ ALSO: Martha Karua Leaving Azimio La Umoja?
At least he acknowledges that the cost of living is not a political issue.
“So IEBC might not have been very good to sell, we had to bundle it up with the cost of living, but I believe the cost of living should be a civil society issue. It should not be a political issue,” he disclosed.”MCA Robert Alai.
Elsewhere, Alai is on record for saying that former President Uhuru Kenyatta and Martha Karua are becoming burdensome in the Azimio La Umoja Coalition.
- READ ALSO: Kalonzo to Lead Handshake Talks: List of 5.
Ruto’s Team of 5 Members is expected to meet Azimio counterparts Kalonzo Musyoka, Minority leader Opiyo Wandayi, DAP leader Eugine Wamalwa, Nyamira Senator Okong’o Omogeni, and Malindi MP Amina Mnyazi.