The presence of Martha Wangari Karua in Kenyan politics is a result of her passion for progressive leadership. She is mostly an Iron Lady in protecting women’s rights and refining democratic processes – so much to admire in Martha Karua political journey.
Karua is an aspiring deputy president within the populous Azimio la Umoja coalition. She commands a huge following; but how did it all begin?
Martha Karua Political Journey
After graduating from the Kenya School of Law in 1981, Karua joined the career market as a magistrate.
- READ ALSO: Rigathi Gachagua Net Worth.
She would fight for justice in different locations including Makadara, Nakuru, and Kibera.
In 1987, she launched her first law firm Martha Karua & Co. Advocates. The legal start-up peaked in 2002.
Some of the high-profile cases that ended on Karua’s desk include the treason trial of Koigi Wamwere. In addition, she represented the Kenyan Member of Parliament Mirugi Kariuki.
Martha Karua fearlessly represented several opposition politicians in the punitive Moi regime. She did not fear being blacklisted by the government of Daniel Arap Moi.
Her submissions eventually played a key role in family law relating to matrimonial property.
Further historical records say she was an opposition leader behind multi-party democracy fights. She is among a few women who challenged KANU in the 1990s.
Martha Karua’s political profile since 1992
Initially, a member of Kenneth Matiba’s Ford-Asili Party, Karua joined the Democratic Party of Kenya because of persistent disagreements.
- 1992: Karua became a Member of Parliament in the Gichugu Constituency. A year later, she became legal affairs secretary within the Democratic Party
- 1998: Karua declined an appointment as Shadow Minister for Culture and Social Services because it conflicted with her mandate as the National Secretary for Constitutional Affairs
- 2002: Martha Karua ganged up with Mwai Kibaki to form NARC Party
- 2008: Endorsed the national chairperson of the NARC-Kenya political party
- 2009: became Minister of Justice, National Cohesion & Constitutional Affairs. Equally served as the Minister of Water Resources Management & Development
- 2013: Became presidential aspirant garnering 43,881 votes in the 6th position
- 2017: Lost to Anne Waiguru in Kirinyaga County gubernatorial race
- 2022: Appointed by the ODM Party leader Raila Odinga to deputize his presidential bid
The candidature of Martha Karua is highly welcome among NARC Kenya and ODM Party supporters.
- READ ALSO: Martha Karua Husband Photos.
Martha Karua Political Journey is getting smoother by the year. Will she end up the first female president in the republic of Kenya?