The history of Open University of Kenya dates back to 1997 when the idea of a virtual higher learning institution was born. Initially called the African Virtual University, OUK is now a game changer in digital academia.
- READ ALSO: History of Maseno University Since 1906.
Founders established the Open University of Kenya to break conventional barriers associated with traditional education systems. When was Open University established?
History of Open University of Kenya since 1997
Who founded the Open University? OUK appeared in several policy papers including the Sessional Paper No. 1 of 2005.
- READ ALSO: History of the University of Nairobi Since 1956.
The paper titled “A Policy Framework Education, Training and Research; Meeting the Challenges of Education, Training and Research in Kenya in the 21st Century” paved the way for OUK.
- READ ALSO: History of KMTC Since 1927: CEO?
Enlisted are additional papers that stirred implementation.
- 2007: Report of the Public Universities Inspection Board
- 2008: The National Strategy for University Education
- 2008: The Road Map for Open University
- 2011 The Blue Print Report for the envisioned Open University
In 2014, then Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi appointed a task force to the Open University.
- READ ALSO: The History of Kisii University Since 1965.
A task force chair Prof Peter Erastus Kinyanjui drafted several recommendations alongside members such as;
- Dr Guantai Mboroki
- Dr Joyce Agalo
- Dr Speranza Ndege
- Dr Henry Rono
- Jeckoniah Odumbe
- Dr Judith W. Kamau
- Julius Otieno
- Rispa Odongo
The cabinet eventually approved the National Open University in August 2016.
- READ ALSO: NYS Training Before University and Employment.
7 years later, Professor Ezra-Maritim-led committee submitted the progress report to the cabinet Secretary on May 26 2023.
OUK chartered on August 3, 2023
President William Ruto on Thursday, August 3, 2023, appointed Equity CEO James Mwangi as the Chancellor of the first virtual public University in Kenya at Konza Technopolis.
- READ ALSO: Open University of Kenya Courses: OUK Portal.
The Head of State declared OUK the 42nd university in Kenya.
The Open University of Kenya programmes
- The six undergraduate degree programmes are:
- Bachelor of Cyber Security and Digital Forensics
- Bachelor of Data Science
- Bachelor of Technology Education
- Bachelor of Science in business and Entrepreneurship
- Bachelor of Economics and Statistics
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Food Security
President Ruto affirmed that the fees for each of the 7 courses are half the charges in other public universities.
- READ ALSO: Open University of Kenya Fee Structure.
The first batch of freshmen is expected to join the varsity in September.
Allocation of Ksh. 270 million is expected to stir operations relating to curriculum development and construction at Konza.
- READ ALSO: History of Kenyatta University since 1965.
The history of Open University of Kenya spans 25 years in counting even as interested learners await communication on study durations and fee structure.