The history of Muranga University dates back to the early 70s when it was a community-level college. It has since undergone tremendous changes with a bold vision and a distinct mission.
- READ ALSO: 25 Best Universities and Colleges in Kericho.
A recent award of a charter brings into light the continued expansion in enrolment and training capacity.
History of Muranga University since 1975
Where is Muranga University located? MUT sitting on 60 acres of land lies in Murang’a County, about 1.5 km east of Murang’a Town. It is located 50 km southwest of Embu, 70 km southeast of Nyeri, and about 85 km northeast of Nairobi.
- READ ALSO: History of Rongo University Since 1970s.
A brief history of Muranga University of Technology is as follows;
1. Muranga University established in 1975
MUT is a successor of Murang’a College of Technology (MCT) which was first established in 1975.
- READ ALSO: History of Garissa University Since 2011.
MCT was a constituent college of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) before it was elevated to a full-fledged university.
2. MUT award of charter in 2016
In 2016, the institution was chartered by President Uhuru Kenyatta to become Murang’a University of Technology.
- READ ALSO: History of Pwani University Since 2007.
This elevation was part of a broader government initiative in Kenya to increase access to higher education by transforming various colleges and polytechnics into universities.
3. Courses and programs on offer
Over the years, MUT has expanded its academic programs and faculties.
MUT now offers courses in engineering, business, information technology, and other fields at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
4. MUT facilities and infrastructure
With its elevation to university status, MUT has seen spontaneous growth in terms of infrastructure and research facilities.
- READ ALSO: History of Machakos University Since 1957.
These include a new administration block and a postmodern library.
5. List of campuses and enrolment
How many campuses does Muranga University have? Among the MUT satellite campuses is a town campus located in the Aharuka Building, Murang’a Town.
Overall, the number of students at MUT is about 15,000.
6. Engagement with the community
The university prides itself on community engagement and has various initiatives aimed at fostering community development and integrating learning with community service.
- READ ALSO: History of South Eastern Kenya University.
The history of Muranga University aligns perfectly with the vision of becoming a leading institution in technological innovation, research, training, and outreach.