The history of Maseno University dates back to the early 20 century. Its main campus is located at Maseno Township along the busy Kisumu-Busia road, about 25 kilometers from Kisumu City.
- READ ALSO: 25 Best Estates in Kisumu City.
Alumni, ongoing learners, and freshmen take great pride in the higher learning institution for among other reasons, skill-based competence.
History of Maseno University since 1906
The Vice- Chancellor Maseno University is Prof. Julius Nyabundi.
- READ ALSO: 25 Best TVET Colleges in Kisii County.
Student enrolment is as we speak about 30,000.
1. Founded in 1906 as a teacher training college
The roots of Maseno University can be traced back to 1906 when a teacher training college was established by the Church Missionary Society (CMS).
- READ ALSO: History of the University of Nairobi.
It was initially known as Maseno School, and its primary purpose was to train African teachers to work in CMS mission schools.
2. Growth and expansion in 1930s
Over the years, Maseno School continued to grow and expand its programs.
- READ ALSO: Kisii National Polytechnic contacts.
In 1939, it was elevated to a junior high school, and in 1950, it became a full-fledged secondary school.
- READ ALSO: History of Kenyatta University Since 1965.
The school provided education to students from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and other African countries.
3. Transformation into a University College in 1977
In 1977, the Kenyan government, recognizing the need for higher education institutions in the country, transformed Maseno School into Maseno University College.
- READ ALSO: CS Ezekiel Machogu Educational Background.
It became a constituent college of the University of Nairobi, offering undergraduate programs in various fields.
4. Attainment of University status in 2001
Maseno University College continued to evolve, and in 2001, it was granted full university status by the Kenyan government.
- READ ALSO: Open University of Kenya Courses.
As an independent university, it could now offer its own degrees and expand its academic programs.
5. Academic programs and growth
Since attaining university status, Maseno University has grown significantly in terms of academic programs, infrastructure, and student enrollment.
- READ ALSO: Dedan Kimathi University Contacts.
It now offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in areas such as humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, education, and business.
6. Research and collaboration
Maseno University has also focused on research and collaboration with other academic institutions and organizations.
- READ ALSO: Open University of Kenya Fee Structure.
It has engaged in various research projects and partnerships to contribute to knowledge creation and address societal challenges.
Where is Maseno University located? Maseno University is a public university located in western Kenya, Kisumu City, along the Equator.
- READ ALSO: Dedan Kimathi University History Since 1972.
Today, Maseno University is a respected learning centre, contributing to the education and development of students and the broader Kenyan community.