Soaring inflation and high unemployment rates are pushing a majority of Kenyans to the economic limits. Luckily, we have compiled a list of businesses to start with 20k in Kenya.
- READ ALSO: Top 10 Best Tourist Attraction Sites in Kenya.
While farming and mitumba bales are lucrative, there are even more money-minting opportunities.
Top 50 Businesses to Start with 20k in Kenya
Entrepreneurs can make a fortune with minimal resources as long as an idea meets an opportunity.
- READ ALSO: 10 Best Hotels in Mombasa near the Beach.
The returns are only faster with the starting capital at hand. What business can I start with 20k in Kenya?
1. Selling mitumba clothes at retail and wholesale
Second-hand clothes alias mitumba is a booming venture in the country.
The business is highly profitable with returns exceeding 100% on a fair day. Luckily, you can invest for as low as Ksh. 2,000 and then scale up the financial pool.
2. Cereal shop with staples
Maize, rice, and beans are timeless staples for a sustainable income.
- READ ALSO: 25 Most Profitable Agribusiness Ideas in Kenya.
The cereal business is not only profitable but also a low-risk startup.
3. Farming high-demand crops
Farming can be a lucrative business, but it is nothing close to overnight success!
You can farm among other crops maize, dhania, and vegetables.
4. Open a grocery shop
Populated areas are ideal for starting and running a successful grocery business.
- READ ALSO: Mike Sonko Net Worth: Sources of Wealth.
Common supplies include vegetables, tomatoes, onions, spices, and cereals.
5. Computer and phone repair shop
Kenya brags about 65.4 million SIM subscribers suggesting several mobile phone owners.
Increasing smartphone and laptop users presents a ready market for skilled technicians to earn a living.
List of top businesses to start with 20k in Kenya
- Become a social media consultant
- Become a virtual event planner
- Build an audience you can monetize
- Create a membership program
- Start an online fashion boutique
- Create digital products or online courses
- Design and sell print-on-demand t-shirts
- Housesitting and pet sitting
- Invest in vending machines
- Join an affiliate marketing program
- Launch a book
- Operating a salon/ barbershop
- Phone accessories
- Poultry farming
- Printing and photocopying
- Sell services to customers
- Handcrafted and homemade goods
- Print-on-demand posters and cards
- Sell your photography
- Selling baby diapers
- Vending fruits and vegetables
- Selling Ladies’ bags
- Beauty business
- Charitable business
- Drop shipping business
- Landscaping business
- Movie shop
- Pet business
- Online coffee shop
- Test app development
Niches that align with passion are often preferable.
- READ ALSO: 25 Richest People in Kisii & Nyamira.
Some ideas in our list of top businesses to start with 20k in Kenya are handy regardless of starting capital. Opening a business of your dreams could be easier than you think!