Are you on the lookout for the best universities in Kenya to shape your academic journey? Look no further! In this article, we present a comprehensive list of the top 25 best universities in Kenya based on the Webometrics university ranking. The universities offer outstanding educational experiences, cutting-edge facilities, and vibrant campus life.
- READ ALSO: 25 Most Marketable Diploma Courses in Kenya.
Whether you’re interested in arts, sciences, technology, or business, these universities have something unique to offer. Let’s dive in and explore what makes each institution stand out.
List of the 25 best universities in Kenya
How many universities are in Kenya? According to the latest reports, the country has a total of 65 public and private chartered universities.
- READ ALSO: New Salary Scale for TSC Teachers.
Thousands of students apply for these tertiary institutions yearly. Here is the latest list based on Webometrics Kenyan universities ranking.
1. University of Nairobi – UoN
Location: Nairobi Established: 1956
The University of Nairobi, often referred to as UoN, is Kenya’s oldest and most prestigious university.
- READ ALSO: Latest Teachers Salary Increase.
Boasting a rich history of academic excellence, the institution offers a wide range of programs across various disciplines. Its central location in Nairobi provides students with access to internships, networking opportunities, and cultural experiences.
2. Kenyatta University (KU)
Location: Nairobi Established: 1965
Kenyatta University is renowned for its strong emphasis on research and community engagement.
- READ ALSO: History of Kenyatta University since 1965.
The university’s commitment to innovation and holistic education has earned it a top spot among Kenyan universities. With modern facilities and dedicated faculty, Kenyatta University is an excellent choice for students seeking a well-rounded education.
3. Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT)
Location: Juja Established: 1981
As the name suggests, JKUAT focuses on agriculture and technology-related disciplines.
- READ ALSO: History of JKUAT University Since 1981.
From engineering to agricultural sciences, the university equips students with practical skills and knowledge for the modern world. T
4. Egerton University
Location: Njoro Established: 1939
Egerton University, with its sprawling campus and diverse programs, offers a comprehensive educational experience.
- READ ALSO: History of Egerton University Since 1939.
The university’s commitment to research and community outreach contributes to its reputation as a hub for academic and social development.
5. Moi University
Location: Eldoret Established: 1984
Moi University is known for its strong focus on research and its contribution to the development of knowledge in various fields.
- READ ALSO: The History of Kisii University Since 1965.
The university’s serene campus provides an ideal environment for students to engage in academic pursuits while enjoying a vibrant campus life.
6. Maseno University
Location: Maseno Established: 1991
Maseno University’s commitment to academic excellence and community engagement makes it a prime choice for aspiring scholars.
- READ ALSO: History of Maseno University Since 1906.
The university’s dedication to producing well-rounded graduates is evident through its diverse programs and vibrant campus culture.
7. Strathmore University Nairobi
Location: Nairobi Established: 1961
Strathmore University Nairobi is renowned for its exceptional business and management programs.
- READ ALSO: 10 Most Fallen Giant Secondary Schools.
With strong connections to the business world, the university provides students with practical skills and networking opportunities that are highly valued in the job market.
8. Technical University of Kenya (TUK)
Location: Nairobi Established: 2013
The Technical University of Kenya specializes in technical and engineering disciplines.
- READ ALSO: KMTC Fee Structure PDF 2022/2023 Download .
It’s a hub for hands-on learning and innovation, providing students with the tools they need to thrive in today’s technology-driven world.
9. Masinde Muliro University of Science & Technology (MMUST)
Location: Kakamega Established: 1977
MMUST is a center for scientific and technological research.
The university’s commitment to research and innovation makes it an excellent choice for students interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, and related fields.
10. Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA)
Location: Nairobi Established: 1984
CUEA combines academic excellence with a strong ethical foundation. Its diverse programs make it an attractive option for students seeking both intellectual and moral growth.
- READ ALSO: Jeff Koinange Education Background & Career Profile .
11. Murang’a University of Technology
Location: Murang’a Established: 2011
Murang’a University of Technology is a relatively young institution with a vibrant and dynamic atmosphere.
Focused on technology and innovation, the university equips students with skills that are in high demand in today’s rapidly evolving world.
12. United States International University (USIU)
Location: Nairobi Established: 1969
USIU offers a global perspective on education.
- READ ALSO: 20 Best Universities & Colleges in Kisii.
With a strong emphasis on international programs and a diverse student body, the university provides a unique opportunity for students to interact with peers from various backgrounds and cultures.
13. Daystar University
Location: Nairobi and Athi River Established: 1964
Daystar University is known for its strong communication and media programs.
- READ ALSO: Technical University of Mombasa History.
The institution blends academic rigor with spiritual values, creating an environment that fosters personal and professional growth.
14. University of Embu
Location: Embu Established: 1947
The University of Embu is committed to research and innovation in agriculture and environmental sciences.
- READ ALSO: Who Sold MPesa to Safaricom in Kenya?
With a picturesque campus surrounded by lush greenery, students have the perfect backdrop for their academic endeavors.
15. Kenya Methodist University (KeMU)
Location: Meru Established: 1997
KeMU places a strong emphasis on community service and practical application of knowledge. The university’s diverse programs and commitment to holistic development make it an attractive choice for students seeking a well-rounded education.
16. Mount Kenya University (MKU)
Location: Thika Established: 1996
Mount Kenya University is one of the largest private universities in Kenya.
- READ ALSO: How To Apply KUCCPS 2023 Intake.
It offers a wide range of programs across various disciplines, and its focus on research and innovation contributes to its reputation as a top institution.
17. South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU)
Location: Kitui Established: 2008
SEKU is known for its commitment to research and development in the region.
The university’s specialized programs and engagement with the local community create a unique learning environment for students.
- READ ALSO: KUCCPS Courses and Cluster Points.
18. Meru University of Science & Technology
Location: Meru Established: 2013
Meru University focuses on science and technology disciplines, emphasizing practical skills and innovation.
The institution’s modern facilities and commitment to research make it an attractive choice for aspiring scientists and technologists.
19. Dedan Kimathi University of Technology
Location: Nyeri Established: 1972
Formerly known as Kimathi University College of Technology, this institution places a strong emphasis on technology and engineering disciplines.
- READ ALSO: History of Dedan Kimathi University Since 1972.
The university’s dedication to producing skilled graduates has earned it a respected position in Kenya’s educational landscape.
20. Pwani University
Location: Kilifi Established: 2007
Pwani University, located along the coastal region, offers programs for students.
- READ ALSO: New TSC Entry Requirements in KUCCPS Application.
With a focus on research and community engagement, the university contributes to regional development and innovation.
Full list of the best universities in kenya
- Kabarak University
- University of Eldoret
- Machakos University
- Kibabii University
- Kisii University
- Technical University of Mombasa
- Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University of Science & Technology
- Karatina University
- Rongo University
- Saint Paul’s University
- Chuka University
- Masai Mara University
- Turkana University College
- University of Kabianga
- Co-operative University of Kenya
- The University of Eastern Africa Baraton
- Kirinyaga University
- Laikipia University
- Africa Nazarene University
- Taita Taveta University
- Multimedia University of Kenya
- Great Lakes University of Kisumu
Use the above ranking of the best universities in Kenya to select the best school to pursue your undergraduate or postgraduate degree program.
- READ ALSO: History of Open University of Kenya Since 1997.
Each of these universities offers unique opportunities for personal and academic growth, making the decision of where to pursue your higher education an exciting one.